Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Homemade Veggie Ravioli

Because I love to cook I am always trying to find new things that I can make that pose a challenge. Before I was born my parents used to make their own pasta, and everyone knows that fresh pasta is so much better than dried, so last time I went home I had my dad show me how. Well our attempts were not that successful. The dough (adjusted to be vegan) was tough, the pasta maker, because it was old, was sticking and really hard to crank, and the pasta turned out slimy. Since this was so unsuccessful I made it a goal to make successful delicious pasta. The first step was to get a new pasta maker. I went to Sur la Table and picked up the Atlas 150. Now I was torn whether to make pasta or ravioli for my first time, and when I looked in the frig my mind was made up. I have left over sauteed veggies and tofu ricotta, and new they would make a perfect filling. Raviolis it was. And with some adjustments to the dough, a new pasta machine, and some luck the ravioli turned out perfect! Now you can make this recipe without a pasta maker by rolling out the dough with a rolling pin, but u make not get the uniform thickness you would get from a machine. 


What you need:
-1 1/4 cup semolina flour, plus extra for kneading
-1/2 warm water
-2 tsp olive oil
-1 tsp salt

-Leftover sauteed veggie (I used spinach, mushrooms, bell peppers, onions)
-6 oz extra firm tofu
-3 large garlic cloves
-1/4 cup pine nuts
-10 Basil leaves (fresh)
-Veggie broth by eye

To make the dough

  1. Combine semolina flour, water, olive oil, ans salt in a food processor and combine until fully incorporated. The dough will still be sticky but you will be adding more flour to the dough when you knead it.
  2. Remove the dough from the food processor and place on a heavily flour surface. Sprinkle more dough on top of the dough and knead until the dough is no longer sticky. You may need to add more flour so the dough is not sticky. If you are confused watch this video: http://www.chow.com/stories/10881
  3. After you have kneaded the dough for roughly 8-10 mins divide the dough in half and place in plastic bags to rest for 30 mins.
  4. After the dough has rested follow the directions on your past maker and roll out large sheets to thickness of about 5. 
  5. To form the ravioli I used a ravioli mold but you can cut the dough into squares and form by hand.
  6. Take on sheet of dough and place a tsp of fill in the middle. Another sheet of dough over the filling and press to seal.
  7. Let the ravioli sit out and dry for roughly 5 mins.
  8. Boil in salted water for roughly 3mins and enjoy.
For the filling
  1. Combine all the veggies, tofu, pinenuts, garlic, and veggie broth (enough to create a smooth paste) in a food processor. Blend until smooth.
  2. Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment